Friday, February 22, 2013

Joining a Book Club

When I moved to Aberdeen, I decided to join the AWA's evening book club. I had never been part of a book club before, and thought it would be a great way to branch out of my "chicklet" genre. Reading about single, 20 year old gals and their issues with finding a husband or keeping a steady job just wasn't up my alley anymore, so book club was my savior!

Since joining, I have read a few different types of books, and I have added a long list of books to my Good Reads' "To-Read" list. I don't think I will ever manage to make that list smaller. Anyway, here is a list of a few that I have read since joining book club:
-The Winter Sea (also named Sophia's Secret) by Susanna Kearsley
-Dream Angus by Alexander McCall Smith
-The Hundred-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
-The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
-Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

I haven't read all of the books that I was supposed to read since joining... I missed the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and also Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. I have the latter on my list to read at some point. The former... not so much as I heard it was, I will put it nicely, not good.
We decided at one of the meetings a few months ago to read The Great Gatsby because it is a classic that we were all forced to read in high school. We thought it would be fun to reread it as adults. I didn't remember reading it in high school (although I know I was supposed to). When I began reading it just a few weeks ago, not a single word from the book sounded familiar, so I am pretty sure I never read it. After finishing the book a few weeks ago, I decided that I probably tried reading the book in high school, but I most definitely chose talking on the phone or hitting the volleyball against the house over reading the book. Phone & Volleyball > Reading ... Fo sho! The book isn't so bad, but I am an adult who can appreciate it and I also don't really have the strong volleyball shoulders I used to have... unfortunately :-(

Have you reread any classics that you were forced to read in high school? How did your views change?

Have a stupendous weekend y'all!

RANDOM FACT:
Barnes & Noble originated in 1886 under a different name. Its current name began in 1917 after going through a few different changes in ownership. (says the wiki)

-Debbie-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...